Monday, July 28, 2008

& I just ate half a tub of Ben & Jerry's ice-cream. The one with the ickle white chocolate polar bears in it? The environmentally friendly sort? The sort that's going to make me fat if I continue to imbibe it at this rate.

& I watched Stardust (2007) yesterday. I love that movie and not least because it's based on a novel by one of my very favourite authors, Neil Gaiman. It has some scenery-chewing turns by the likes of Robert De Niro, Peter O'Toole and Michelle Pfeiffer, a Who's Who? of British television actors (Julian Rhind-Tutt, Nathaniel Parker, Mark Williams, David Walliams, Ricky Gervais), our very own David Kelly, as well as some beautiful young things, Ben Barnes, Charlie Cox, Claire Danes, Henry Cavill and Sienna Miller (all of whom also act). It's a charming movie, based on a charming book, with a Take That song on the soundtrack and I am easily pleased. Watching it, though, I couldn't help but notice that every fantasy looks a little bit Lord of the Rings. At first, I just assumed it was because everyone's decided to start filming in New Zealand, but apparently not? (Who knew that Hertfordshire could look so vast?). Looking back on it, even The Princess Bride (1987) looks a little bit LotR and it was filmed in the Burren. King Arthur (2004) is another impressive-looking movie but, to the best of my knowledge, Wicklow doesn't actually look like that in real life (with neither the snow or the women wearing strips of leather and blue face paint).

& I still don't know what the hell I'm doing here but I'm off to an OK start.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

You certainly are off to a good start. Expect to be blog-rolled soon miss. I see you've been listening to Wolf Parade, nice!

An yes, there are women aexactly like that in Wicklow. Well, the leather and blue paint anyway, sadly no Kiera Knightley

Lindsey said...

Wolf Parade aren't half-bad. I went to see Sunset Rubdown in Crawdaddy a couple of months ago. Pretty ace.

Also. Wicklow is sounding more frightening by the day.

MJ said...

Ah, another Stardust fan. That films was one of the best of last year, I thought. Nice blog & style! Welcome to the roll :)

Lindsey said...

Cheers, MJ. Stardust really was such an enjoyable film - think I saw it twice in the cienma.